Study Makeup Artistry at the LBTA and launch your
About the course:
If you are looking to embark on a career as a makeup artist, this course is designed to equip you with the knowledge, practical skills and the industry-required qualification to allow you to work in the media, fashion industry or for yourself.
The primary outcome of the VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Make-up Artistry is to prepare you to enter the specific sector of beauty therapy as a make-up artist. All the units in this qualification relate directly to the specific job role of a make-up artist.
What the qualification covers:
The VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Make-up Artistry is a substantial vocational qualification that will prepare you for a career as a make-up artist as the units contained in this qualification cover all the skills and knowledge required for this role.
This is a vocational qualification and includes all the required elements to work effectively as a make-up artist including units covering the following: applying make-up, instruction on make-up, fashion and photographic make-up, media make-up, camouflage make-up, airbrush make-up and promoting products and services.
Throughout this qualification, you will develop your knowledge and understanding of relevant anatomy and physiology, health and safety, client care and cosmetic products and equipment. You will also develop a range of technical skills enabling you to prepare the skin and apply a variety of make-up products using different techniques. You will also develop interpersonal skills, which will assist you to communicate effectively with clients.
The course can be studied 1 day a week for 40 weeks, or 2 days a week for 20 weeks.
We have start dates available throughout the year. As the courses are modular, you are able to join the course when the next module begins after completing induction days.
You do not need any previous beauty experience. On application, you will be required to complete Maths and English assessments, achieving a minimum of an Entry Level 3.
You can study the course in our Chiswick (West London) or Borehamwood (Hertfordshire) academies.
- Apply make-up
- Instruction on make-up application
- Promote products and services to clients in a salon
- Camouflage make-up
- Media make-up
- Design and apply face and body art
- Fashion and photographic make-up
- Client care and communication in beauty-related industries
- Monitor and maintain health and safety practice in the salon
- Apply airbrush make-up to the face
- Application of Fashion and Photographic Make-up – to include creating and adapting a design plan, using products, tools and techniques to meet the design plan; using black and white and colour and working to a budget
- Application of Media Make-up – to include characters, ageing and casualty effects
- Airbrush Make-up – to include applying Airbrush
- Make-up to the face and developing Airbrush Make-up design plans using research materials and resources
- Face and Body Art – to include designing and applying face and body art using a variety of techniques, tools and equipment to suit the desired look
The Learner will also develop knowledge about client care and communication which is essential in order to work and be successful in the Media Make-up Industry.
This qualification will prepare you for employment as a make-up artist. The VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Make-up Artistry and includes the full skills and knowledge required to specialise in hair, photographic and media make-up services.
You will also be eligible to join a professional association and gain insurance as a make-up artist. Career opportunities as a make-up artist exist in a variety of contexts, including:
- Hair and make-up studio
- Beauty salon
- Media Production companies
- Theatre companies
- Advanced Make-Up
- Artist working from home & mobile
- Bridal Make-Up Artist (inc., bridal party, engagement & special occasions)
- Airbrush Make-Up Artist
- Professional Make-Up Artist in Film, TV, Theatre, Editorial & Fashion
- Media Make-Up
- High End Catwalk
- Hotels or resorts
This qualification is based on the beauty therapy National Occupational Standards (NOS) and is recognised by the UK’s leading professional association, the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) as being fit for purpose for preparing you for a career as a make-up artist. Holders of this qualification are eligible to become a professional member of BABTAC. Further information on BABTAC membership can be found on their website.
Total fee:The course is £3,345 each. All students will be required to purchase a uniform and kit.
For all Level 3 qualifications, we accept the Advanced Learner Loan or payment through a finance instalment payment plan. Please note the fee for the uniform and kit are not covered in the Advanced Learner Loan.