The primary outcome of the VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Make-up Artistry is to prepare you to enter the specific sector of beauty therapy as a make-up artist. All the units in this qualification relate directly to the specific job role of a make-up artist.
What the qualification covers:
The VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Make-up Artistry is a substantial vocational qualification that will prepare you for a career as a make-up artist as the units contained in this qualification cover all the skills and knowledge required for this role.
This is a vocational qualification and includes all the required elements to work effectively as a make-up artist including units covering the following: applying make-up, instruction on make-up, fashion and photographic make-up, media make-up, camouflage make-up, airbrush make-up and promoting products and services.
Throughout this qualification, you will develop your knowledge and understanding of relevant anatomy and physiology, health and safety, client care and cosmetic products and equipment. You will also develop a range of technical skills enabling you to prepare the skin and apply a variety of make-up products using different techniques. You will also develop interpersonal skills, which will assist you to communicate effectively with clients.
The main skills the Learner will perform are:
- Application of Fashion and Photographic Make-up – to include creating and adapting a design plan, using products, tools and techniques to meet the design plan; using black and white and colour and working to a budget
- Application of Media Make-up – to include characters, ageing and casualty effects
- Airbrush Make-up – to include applying Airbrush
- Make-up to the face and developing Airbrush Make-up design plans using research materials and resources
- Face and Body Art – to include designing and applying face and body art using a variety of techniques, tools and equipment to suit the desired look
This qualification also provides:
The Learner will also develop knowledge about client care and communication which is essential in order to work and be successful in the Media Make-up Industry.
What could this qualification lead to?
This qualification will prepare you for employment as a make-up artist. The VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Make-up Artistry and includes the full skills and knowledge required to specialise in hair, photographic and media make-up services.
You will also be eligible to join a professional association
and gain insurance as a make-up artist. Career opportunities as a make-up artist exist in a variety of contexts, including:
- Hair and make-up studio
- Beauty salon
- Media Production companies
- Theatre companies
- Advanced Make-Up
- Artist working from home & mobile
- Bridal Make-Up Artist (inc., bridal party, engagement & special occasions)
- Airbrush Make-Up Artist
- Professional Make-Up Artist in Film, TV, Theatre, Editorial & Fashion
- Media Make-Up
- High End Catwalk
- Hotels or resorts
Who supports this qualification?
This qualification is based on the beauty therapy National Occupational Standards (NOS) and is recognised by the UK’s leading professional association, the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) as being fit for purpose for preparing you for a career as a make-up artist. Holders of this qualification are eligible to become a professional member of BABTAC. Further information on BABTAC membership can be found on their website.
- Apply make-up
- Instruction on make-up application
- Promote products and services to clients in a salon
- Camouflage make-up
- Media make-up
- Design and apply face and body art
- Fashion and photographic make-up
- Client care and communication in beauty-related industries
- Monitor and maintain health and safety practice in the salon
- Apply airbrush make-up to the face
Course Fee: The qualification fee for Level 3 is £2,787.50 + VAT (£,3345.00). There are no additional registration or certification fees. All students will be required to purchase a uniform and kit costing £172.00
Total fee: £3,517.00 including VAT. You can finance this course through the Advanced Learner Loan or our finance instalment payment plan. (The £172.00 fee for the uniform and kit are not covered in the Advanced Learner Loan).
Flexible Study Options: You can study for these programmes part-time with attendance at the Academy either on two days during the week or evening attendance or weekend attendance.
Duration: 15 weeks if studied for 2 days a week or 30 weeks if studied over 2 evenings a week or 30 weeks if studied one day a week.
Entry Requirement: There are no formal entry requirements but a good command of written and verbal English language is required.
If you wish to work as a mobile make-up artist or offer occasional treatments from home, you will be sufficiently qualified with The VTCT Diploma in Make-up artistry. All students receive the Diploma which allows you to gain public liability (beauty) insurance to work with paying clients from home or mobile. It allows you to begin earning straight away, even while working towards a qualification.