The primary outcome of the course is to enable learners to gain the necessary practical skills and knowledge in order to provide Beauty Therapy treatments to the general public and to gain employment in the Spa and Beauty industry. All the units in this qualification relate directly to the specific job role of a junior beauty therapist.
What the qualification covers:
The VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Studies is a substantial vocational qualification for learners seeking a career as a junior beauty therapist.
The main skills the Learner will perform are:
- Facial skincare to include performance of a full facial, including lash and eyebrow treatments
- Make-up application to include the understanding of face shapes and full make-up application
- Manicure to include care of the nails, hand massage and application of polish
- Pedicure to include care of the nails, foot massage and application of polish
- Removal of hair using hot and cool waxing techniques
- Salon reception duties
This qualification also provides:
The Learner will also develop knowledge about related health and safety and client care and communication which is essential to work and be successful in the Beauty Industry.
What could this qualification lead to?
Career opportunities exist in a variety of contexts as a junior beauty therapist, including:
- Working in commercial beauty salons
- Working in a retail concession in a department store
- Working independently/self-employed/mobile/home-based settings
Holders of this qualification are eligible to gain the professional membership and insurance cover recommended for entry to employment as a junior beauty therapist.
Whilst this qualification’s primary purpose is to prepare learners for employment as a junior beauty therapist learners may choose to develop their skills further by undertaking Technical Level qualifications in beauty therapy at Level 3, these include:
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Make-Up Artistry
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Treatments
Who supports this qualification?
This qualification is based on the beauty therapy National Occupational Standards (NOS) and is recognised by the UK’s leading professional association, the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) as being fit for purpose for preparing you for a career as a junior beauty therapist. Holders of this qualification are eligible to become a professional member of BABTAC.
- Provide facial skincare
- Remove hair using waxing techniques
- Provide eyelash and brow treatments
- Client care and communication in beauty-related industries
- Provide manicure treatments
- Provide pedicure treatments
- Follow health and safety practice in the salon
- Apply make-up
- Salon reception duties
If you are aged over 19, and you are unemployed and in receipt of benefits and looking to return to work then the VTCT level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Studies will be Government funded.